Bharat will have new criminal justice system in place by December 2024: Amit Shah

[ad_1]

NEW DELHI: Bharat will have its new criminal justice system in place by December 2024, Union home minister Amit Shah announced on Friday.
“By December 2024, all UTs will have necessary infrastucture, fully computerised courts to implement 3 new criminal justice laws,” Amit Shah said.
The Parliament on Thursday passed the three criminal justice bills that will replace colonial-era laws and make the entire process — from filing of FIRs to delivery of judgment — fully online. The new bills, which will become laws after the President’s assent, also aim to deliver justice within a maximum three years, putting an end to the unending “tareekh pe tareekh” norm.
Replying to the debate in Rajya Sabha, home minister Amit Shah had said the three bills were made by India, made for India and passed by the Indian Parliament and the focus was on “nyay” (justice) rather than punishment. “I can say with full confidence that once the new laws are implemented fully, the entire process from filing of FIRs to judgment will be online,” he said.
He said under the new laws, NGOs could not move mercy petitions on behalf of death row convicts. He said only convicts could seek mercy. “Someone who doesn’t repent has no right to seek mercy or file mercy petition… let people who don’t believe in Indian laws face the noose,” he added.
On the timeline of implementation of the new laws, on which the opposition has been raising questions, Shah had said integration of all crime and related databases was at an advanced stage.
“I can proudly say that 82% integration has been completed before the bills are passed and the remaining 18% will be done in the next one year. People who ask when will this happen, they don’t know the working style of the PM,” he said. Shah said the government was confident that full IT integration as per the three laws would be in place in Chandigarh before the 2024 general election.
The upper House passed the Bharatiya Nyaya (Second) Sanhita, Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha (Second) Sanhita and Bharatiya Sakshya (Second) Bill by voice vote, which will re place the Indian Penal Code, the Code of Criminal Procedure and the Indian Evidence Act respectively. Just like in Lok Sabha, the laws were passed in the absence of most opposition MPs due to a series of suspensions and a walkout on Thursday.



[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *