Man, 21, is stabbed to death ‘in the Apple Store’ at London’s Brent Cross shopping centre forcing shocked customers to be evacuated as police launch murder probe and arrest two men
- Multiple police cars and an air ambulance rushed to the scene in north London
- A 21-year-old man died at the shopping centre after shoppers performed first aid
- An 18-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of murder, police said
- Witnesses online said the attack took place inside an Apple store
A 21-year-old man has been stabbed to death after a fight broke out inside Brent Cross shopping centre in London on Tuesday evening.
Police rushed to the scene at around 6.45pm after reports of a large brawl between a group of young men.
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder while a second man, also believed to be aged 18, has been arrested on suspicion of affray.
A 21-year-old man has been stabbed to death after a fight broke out inside Brent Cross shopping centre in London on Tuesday evening
The shopping centre was evacuated and multiple police cars and an air ambulance were in attendance.
Police said members of the public and officers attempted first aid but the 21-year-old died at the scene.
Unconfirmed reports on social media indicate the stabbing took place at an Apple store.
Chief Superintendent Sara Leach, who is in charge of policing in north west London, said: ‘My thoughts are with the loved ones of the young man who has been killed in this incident.
Multiple police cars and an air ambulance were seen outside the shopping centre in north west London
Footage shared on social media showed police ushering away shoppers near a cordon set up inside the shopping centre
‘I would like to offer my thanks to the members of the public who came to his aid. They showed considerable courage.
‘Two people have been arrested and an investigation is already under way. We will do all we can to identify and bring to justice those responsible.
‘The public can expect to see a heightened police presence in the area through the rest of this evening and in the days to come.’
In the past four months, 12 teenagers have been stabbed to death in the capital, and there are fears the killings could reignite the gang wars that have plagued the city during Sadiq Khan’s term as London Mayor.
Barring a political earthquake, voters are set to give the Labour politician another five years in office at the local elections this week.
Londoners cite crime as their No 1 concern but Mr Khan’s critics accuse him of being preoccupied with traffic-calming measures and crippling increases to the Congestion Charge.
Police rushed to the scene and quickly dispersed panicked shoppers on Tuesday evening
Conservative mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey previously said: ‘How many tragedies will it take before Sadiq Khan actually takes responsibility for rising crime in London?’
Since Mr Khan came to office in May 2016, at least 114 teenagers have been murdered. Of those, ten were killed in Newham – including two last month.
According to police statistics, 6,335 crimes have been reported to police within walking distance of the new City Hall in the past three years, including 1,357 violent or sexual offences.